Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Writing Your Book: From Fear to Confidence in Ten Steps (Step One)

1.    Don’t Think You’re Going to Become Rich And Famous
My first tip on writing is a negative. Put another way, I’ll start by saying a Yes to No

Don't think writing will make you a billionaire. In fact, one of the worst things you can do is that that it's your birthright to sell a million, or even a 100,000, copies of your book.

This mindset will freeze you for sure.

Don’t listen to stories like I’ve heard. Like from Paul Young. He was poor, living the Pacific Northwest, working three jobs to support his wife and four kids. On the way back and forth to work, he wrote a story, a tragic story of despair and redemption. In desperation, he prayed for God to help him print enough copies for his family and friends. 

At Christmas time, an anonymous check of $100 arrived at his door. After buying gifts for his family, he took the balance and walked to Kinko’s where he made 15 copies of his manuscript. As he told me, 
“Making those copies—That was all I wanted to do.” 
People read them and passed them on. He found a publisher. It became viral, and ultimately The Shack: When Tragedy Confronts Eternity went on to sell something like 20 million copies and become a first-run movie starring Octavia Spencer and Sam Worthington

Now that’s a story of faith and confidence.

An outlier
The reason we love that store is it’s exceptional. It’s an outlier. We love it because Paul is a remarkably humble person whom, frankly, it’s hard to dislike even if you're tempted to envy his success.

But wound within this tale is something dangerous: Thinking you’re writing to become rich and famous is ultimately demotivating for almost all writers. 
This will happen to me. Write it and they will come and buy.
Looking into my crystal ball
So I’m going to make a prediction—that won’t happen to you. It’s just basic statistics.

“The average U.S. book is now selling less than 250 copies per year and less than 3,000 copies over its lifetime.” 
That's certainly what I've seen and heard.

Nevertheless, there is a positive
How’s that for negative? Let me assure that in it, there’s a surprising positive. 

I’ll give you hint. Next week I look at why you do publish: Because it’s an itch, even a lust.

What do you think? Please feel to tell me what you think. 

No comments: