Thursday, June 13, 2019

Something Truly Inspirational from Marilynne Robinson (A Note)

The past few weeks, as I write, I've been reading extraordinarily talented practitioners of the craft of putting ideas into words. 

As a result, I came across this brief paragraph from Marilynne Robinson in The Death of
Adam, which I read and re-read and felt 
inspired each time I did:
I want to hear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it. I miss civilization, and I want it back.
And so do I. I wondered to myself whether I'm willing to live so passionately that I might just find a few moments like this as well.

No comments: