Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yes to Both Faith and Reason


Wow, I missed the entire month of October for posts, and before November also passed me by, here's something on saying Yes to both faith and reason....

Last week, I engaged in a dialog on local National Public Radio station on the topic of faith and reason. I affirmed a Yes to a robust faith and to an active life of the mind. My colleague, Rabbi Julie Hilton Danan, brought a confirmation from Jewish thought. On the other side of the ledger, the Chico philosopher Richard Parker stridently disagreed. It was a good time. Here’s the podcast for you to download. Click here for link.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

hmmm. i don't have much to say in reply to rogerio.

anyway, the two things that stood out to me were the quick exchange on the historicity, and the discussion about whether faith adds to call (in this case about environmentalism).

My Reflections said...

I'll leave Rogerio aside for the moment too... Does faith add anything to ecological concerns? I suppose I'd say first that we can respond to the needs of our natural world with or without a faith commitment. Nonetheless, when we place our ethics within a relationship with the Creator of the universe, that provides depth and a wider purpose.