Sunday, March 18, 2018

Taking Science Public: Some Notes


My goal is to have a post every Monday, and since I’ve been traveling this weekend to talk about the book (look right), I figured I’d do a progressive post: Start now and build as the week unfolds.

About a week ago, I was at the DC offices of the largest scientific organization in the world, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, specifically participating in an advisory board for “Engaging Scientists” as part of the Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion or DoSER. The project seeks to assist scientists in communicating beyond the scientific community, and I was specifically there to offer ideas about how science in communities of faith.

A couple of brief observations…
  • In the meeting, I definitely saw interest in engaging science with faith communities because scientists realize how important religious communities are. (Which makes me happy...)
  • Something like 89% of Americans have confidence in scientific community in general and yet on some specific topics, there is marked resistance.
  • There were anecdotes of resistance to science that was sometimes shocking. I heard about the head of a national science society, “I’m a deacon in the church, and I don’t want to talk about evolution”
Made me realize once again that this "bringing science to church" work is necessary and not entirely self-evident.

1 comment:

D Diamond Stylus said...

“We have artists with no scientific knowledge and scientists with no
artistic knowledge and both with no spiritual sense of gravity at all,
and the result is not just bad, it is ghastly.”
Robert M. Pirsig